Projects and Collaboration
EURADIA is involved in other initiatives at European Level:
European Coalition for Diabetes
The European Coalition for Diabetes (ECD) was created by informal agreement between the Alliance for European Diabetes Research (EURADIA), the Foundation of European Nurses in Diabetes (FEND), the International Diabetes Federation European Region (IDF Europe), and Primary Care Diabetes Europe (PCDE), who came together to coordinate EU policy action work on combined objectives.
The overarching objective of the ECD is for all partner organizations to work collectively together as a strong, effective and united voice in the European institutions to improve prevention of diabetes, as well as the health and quality of life for all European citizens living with diabetes, by influencing pan-European policy. This should be achieved by:
- working together to address specific pan-European and national policies which have a potential positive or negative impact on the lives of people with diabetes e.g. public health, research, social and consumer policies and
- working together to develop and implement a targeted pan-European Diabetes Strategy, e.g. in the form of an EU Council Recommendation on diabetes prevention, diagnosis, management, education and research.
In order to achieve these objectives, the ECD will adopt the following strategic approach:
- work together to leverage the support of parliaments in Europe to influence other relevant pan-European institutions through the platform of the ECD;
- work together to encourage national and European parliaments to feature diabetes on their health agenda – resulting in a strong statement to the relevant European institutions and
- work together with European institutions including but not limited to the World Health Organization Europe and the Council of Europe.
To find about more about the European Coalition for Diabetes and its latest events, please visit the ECD website.
InterConnect: Global Data for Diabetes and Obesity Research. FP7-funded Initiative, Grant Number 602068
The FP7-funded InterConnect Initiative was funded by the European Union following their report on establishing a global initiative to study gene-environment interaction on diabetes and obesity. Led by Coordinator Professor Nick Wareham (Cambridge, UK), the Initiative aims to enable a new way of making use of existing data from individual studies around the world to enhance our ability to investigate why risk varies significantly between different populations. EURADIA is a partner in the Initiative and is responsible for the Stakeholder and Funder Engagement, and the Dissemination work packages. The InterConnect project is now concluded.
Read the latest meeting reports on the InterConnect website.